Monday, June 25, 2012

A moving week.

I finally have time to blog because I am off today and tomorrow. Although this week was absolutely amazing, I needed some rest. I slept until twelve today and I still feel like I could sleep more. As you know, we had the special needs camp come in this week and they will also be here next week as well.  This camp was truly a blessing.

At first, I was very disappointed at this camp because I was stuck in the kitchen and had no interaction with these kids at all. We don't really have a lot of interaction anyway because this camp is not put together by ETBE. It's kind of like a camp that is just using our facility. The counselors and staff came in several days early to set up and get things together. I was quick to realize that these young adults were VERY different. At every meal they would holler, sing, stand on top of chairs, and put pickles on each other's faces. When I asked them their name they would respond with something off the wall. They all had nicknames that they went by. I'm not going to lie, these people scared me. But after getting to know them, and seeing them with their kids I realized why they do the things they do. Although it was weird at first, it made sense when the campers got there. They had to get into their world. They had to keep them entertained and always laughing, because these kids are very special and have to have a different kind of attention than us. A few days into the camp I was able to work the ropes course with them and for the first time have interaction with them. I was in tears by the end of the day. I witnessed these beautiful children overcome their fears and swing on our huge swing at the ropes course. I seen them freak out, cry, scream to the top of their lungs, and just about knock me off the ladder, but as soon as we got them hooked up and released the swing, everything went calm. They had so much joy and felt so free. They thought they were birds and would let their arms out and fly. This melted my heart. The next day I life guarded while they were at the pool. This was another amazing experience. It was a beautiful day out side, and it was so peaceful. It seemed almost perfect, and when the kids got to the pool they didn't have a worry in the world. There was one girl who was scared to jump off the diving board. Two counselors held her hands as she walked to the edge. She stood there for a good 10 minutes and everyone in the pool was chanting her name and when they would start to die down because she wouldn't jump she would holler out, "just keep going!!" She finally jumped and everyone cheered for her. She got out and with a huge smile said, "I want to do that again." This moment was beautiful. I've never witnessed anything like it. This week blew me away and there is still another week to go!

Another thing that moved me this week was the amount of growth that we have had in our "family."

Brian- He has never been very vocal about his faith. But after having a late night conversation with one of the Camp Blessing's 17 year old Cabin Leaders, God moved in his heart and shown a light on what he was blinded by. Every morning we have devotion and we forgot to assign someone to do it for the day after Brian had his talk with this guy. I believe it was all God's plan anyway because Brian volunteered to do it and shared what happened and how God spoke to him. He told us that Steven told him to close his eyes and picture his full name, and think of one word that summed up who he is. He chose athletic. He then said when he got back to the house he began to think about it and God showed him that actually his word was prideful. He shared that all his life it was about his accomplishments and how he made sure no one measured up to him. He then went on about how it should not be about him, but about God. This is a huge step for him and I know that God is changing him into the man he was created to be.

James- He was called on to pray one day and he said no. Now he has prayed in front of people a few times and that was a big step for him as well.

Trent- Trent is taking very small steps forward. He spent his days off with Joey and he came back somewhat different. I think he really needed that. He is being more open in Bible study and participating more too. I also seen his heart for children while we were working the ropes course together. I see God changing his hard heart a little at a time.

Also, last night was probably the best night I have had in a very long time. Claire, Mikeal, James, Caleb, and myself went out to eat and just hung out. You know you are in good company when you are having a great time not doing a lot of anything.

Continue to keep me lifted in prayer as I take on another week. I will also be sending out letter's for my mission trip soon so if you would like to be on my team please send me your address via text or Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment