Sunday, June 17, 2012

It's not about me.

I am finally home and able to take a break so I wanted to catch you guys up on what has been going on the past few days. Thursday I went to orientation for Lamar and it was miserable. I had so many things go wrong and I sat in a room all day staring at a carpet wall. Yes, carpet. Why it wasn't on the floor I do not know. Anyway, I did not even get to finish all my stuff because I was there so late and a lot of the people that work there left. It was a relief to come back to the camp. Even though it's hard work, I'm surrounded by the Lord and His people. That makes all the difference.

 Also this week one of our staffer's, Brandon Gilbert, got really sick throwing up and his stomach was hurting him. They took him to the hospital and they did surgery to remove his appendix. He is now in recovery and should be back with us very soon. He is such a strong person and I know he will bounce back fast. I miss him so much already. Keep him lifted in prayer even though he is doing great. I'm just ready for him to be back at the camp.

So the other night we had Bible study with this week's camp pastor. He opened my eyes and also left me mind blown. This guy has such a passion for God's word and could quote scripture like no one's business. He has read the Bible twice a year for seventeen years. And everything that comes from his mouth is Truth. We had a Q&A session and he answered a lot of our tough questions, but the main thing I got out of it was that it's not about me. Everything I am, my plans, my life, my struggles, and blessings are nothing. I am simply here to bring God glory in everything. Creation, the continuous downfall and rising of God's people, Christ's birth, death, and resurrection, and everything in between was set in place to glorify God and to magnify His name. It's not about us. It never was and never will be. I am now trying to live my life with that mindset. In all circumstances I want to take the focus off of myself. I want to find satisfaction in knowing God for who He really is. Ryan quoted this entire passage of scripture:

Psalm 29.
Honor the Lord, you heavenly beings;
honor the Lord for his glory and strength.
Honor the Lord for the glory of his name.
Worship the Lord in the splendor of his holiness.
The voice of the Lord echoes above the sea.
The God of glory thunders.
The Lord thunders over the mighty sea.
The voice of the Lord is powerful;
the voice of the Lord is majestic.
The voice of the Lord splits the mighty cedars;
the Lord shatters the cedars of Lebanon.
He makes Lebanon’s mountains skip like a calf;
he makes Mount Hermon leap like a young wild ox.
The voice of the Lord strikes with bolts of lightning.
The voice of the Lord makes the barren wilderness quake;
the Lord shakes the wilderness of Kadesh.
The voice of the Lord twists mighty oaks and strips the forests bare.
In his Temple everyone shouts, “Glory!”
The Lord rules over the floodwaters.
The Lord reigns as king forever.
The Lord gives his people strength.
The Lord blesses them with peace.

This is God. This is the God that I want to know more and more. I want this power to reign over my life.

Moving on.. Saturday the campers left and so did the band, Ryan, and the rec team. I had such a great week getting to know some of these people. The band was phenomenal. Ryan was an inspiration and the rec team showed Jesus through everything they did. I got to really know one guy from the rec team and we had coffee late Saturday night. It was so great to talk about the Lord and what He is doing in our lives. It was also encouraging to know that there are guys out there that strive to live for Jesus. I am soooo thankful for this new friendship. We plan on reading through the entire Bible together as well as starting to memorize scripture.

It was good to see my church family this morning. And then I came home and took a 8 hour nap. It was much needed.. It's like when I am finally able to stop and rest it hits me and I go out for hours. I also just want to add how thankful I am for my dad since it is Father's Day. He is such a big part of my life. He has always been there when my real dad wasn't. He picked up the slack and treated me as his very own. He has taught me so much over the years, always encouraged and supported me, and also helped make me the strong-willed person that I am today. I remember as a little girl him chasing me through the house with shaving cream all over his face and finally catching me and kissing my cheeks getting it all over me. It would make me so mad, but I look back on that and smile. Thanks for everything Robert.

I go back to the camp tomorrow at 3. I plan on going into Beaumont to have lunch with my Nanny, then depending on time might get a massage because I am having problems with my shoulder. I have been in pain constantly so please pray for healing. This week we have camp "Blessing." This camp is for special needs children. I think this will be eye opening. Continue to pray for me. God is doing huge things!

1 comment:

  1. good eve, praying that this finds you well, and that you have had a great day in the Lord. i can just imagine you with these special needs children, and know that God has blessed you abundantly. this blog from Sunday was awesome, and I can see God, all over you.
    I leave with the youth tomorrow for tenn, and sls. i still remember our trip to mission houston, and how blessed we were. i won't be able to write while i am gone, but i will get caught up when i get back. i love you and am blessed to call you my sweet friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete